In Vitro Fertilisation IVF
IVF or In-vitro Fertilization is an ART solution which is routinely used to help couples facing fertility issues
What Is IVF?
IVF or In vitro fertilization is the process where the egg and sperm are combined in the laboratory in a dish to make an embryo or baby and the it is put back in the uterus in the hope for achieving implantation/pregnancy
Who needs IVF?
Couples who require IVF are those in which the sperm and egg cannot meet on their own and they require some assistance
- Fallopian tube problems – any damage or blockage in the tubes
- Sperm factor – low number or mobility of sperms
- Ovulation problems
- Unexplained infertility
- Donor eggs or sperms – couples who have absence of sperms or eggs require donor gametes
Simple steps of IVF
- Ovarian stimulation – giving injections to the female to produce multiple eggs
- Egg retrieval / Ovum pick up – it is a small procedure to take out the eggs from the ovaries. It is done through the vagina and there is no cut or stitch on the abdomen.
- Semen collection – the male partner has to give semen sample on the same day as ovum pick up
- Fertilization – the eggs and the sperms are fertilized on the same day. In selected cases, ICSI is done to help in fertilisation
- Embryo culture – the embryos, which are the fertilized eggs are cultured in the lab for a few days to see the growth
- Embryo transfer – the cultured embryos are transferred into the uterus under ultrasound guidance with help of a very thin catheter.
- Pregnancy test – two weeks after embryo transfer pregnancy test is done to confirm whether pregnancy has happened
How many injections are required?
Multiple injections are given for multiple egg growth so as to increase chances of success of IVF.
Everyday one or two injections are given for almost 8-12 days till the full growth of the follicles. These are very small injections which can be taken by the female at home by herself or the partner can give it so as to avoid visit to the hospital everyday.
Number of visits to the hospital
The number of visits to the hospital during an IVF cycle can vary but usually there are around 4-5 visits for follicular monitoring, alongwith consultation, one for ovum pick up and then one for embryo transfer
Cost of one IVF cycle:
The cost of one IVF cycle can vary from around 1.5 lac to 2.5 lac depending upon the cause for doing IVF, the quality of the work being done, the kind of IVF center with the type of facilities available.
Depends upon the cause of infertility and age of couple. It is usually different for couples and depends on multiple factors. But nowadays the success rate is quite good. Our centre has about 70% success rate since last 6 months.
How can we help you?
Contact us at the Consulting WP office nearest to you or submit a business inquiry online.